This is one of the reasons product images are important on Amazon. Only attractively shown can bring about potential customers. Let’s take a look at 2023 Amazon images that can attract potential customers and increase click and conversion rates. 1. Values of Images on Amazon Amazon images were not that important in the past when the image policies were strict and there were not many brand-owner sellers.
At that time, images were less essential than titles and bullet points. However, current images take a much higher position compared to that of the past. When looking at the ”Factors of Excellent Online Shopping Experience,” a survey conducted to online shoppers in the US by Marketing Charts in 2018, the year images started to become more and more important, a whopping 87.6% of customers answered “clear product images.”
In fact, the one aspect customers check when visiting Amazon to find products is the images of products. It is said that people recognize images 6-600 times faster than words in general.
Since people’s attention span is short and superior product images are useful in bringing up emotions more than words, attractive images cannot help but enhance sales.
Therefore, the goal of product images should be to provide information to potential customers and persuade them. Moreover, images should make potential customers directly attracted to products’ quality and usefulness without making them predict them.
Even if sellers work hard on PPC advertisements, if they disregard this fact and if the quality of content composing the detailed page including the images is low, the result will be a high bounce rate of customers and a waste of budget.
1) Policies Equally Applied to Primary / Variant Images
(1) Rules for Naming Files
Many sellers are aware of the policies for image files such as file size and white background. However, they are unaware that there are rules for naming the files they upload. If the file names are not well made, the images cannot get uploaded. This definitely applies to image administrative tools, excel upload, and the production of 360° view pictures.
Generally, the names of image files should be composed of 3 factors that are divided by a period. If blanks, dashes, etc. are included, the files cannot get uploaded. (Example of a wrong file name: NEW-B0001 23456.jpg)
The rule that is allowed for naming an image file is “ASIN + variant code + file extension.” Some examples are B000123456.MAIN.jpg or B000123456.PT02.jpg. A variant code is a 4-character code that shows the type of image to be uploaded. If there is no variant code in the name, the image is considered a basic image. For example, B000123456.MAIN.jpg and B000123456.jpg are both basic images. For additional images, the 4-character variant code should be selected following the designated rule. For instance, B000123456.PT01.jpg refers to part 1 and B000123456.BACK.jpg refers to the back of the product. Please keep the following list in mind.
Image requirements for uploading images on Amazon are as follows. However, are matters to take into consideration. That is, the proportion of all the submitted pictures becomes 500x500 pixels regardless of the file size and specification. Therefore, in the case of pictures where the specification proportion is not 1:1, it is best to prepare a square picture since blank space will be added on the short side.
Sellers must be well-acquainted with the following since they are items additionally required for a primary image.
- The background of the basic image should be pure-white (Pure-white that harmonizes with the Amazon search and detailed product page - RGB value 255, 255, 255).
- The basic image should be a professional image of the actual product (graphics, illustrations, models, or placeholders are not allowed). Accessories or props that are not included should not be displayed since they may confuse customers.
- A basic image where a text, logo, border, color block, watermark, or other graphics that hides the product or is displayed in the background is not allowed.
- Products with the same basic image should not be shown in various shapes.
- The basic image should show the entire product to be sold. Except for pieces of jewelry (e.g. necklaces), the image should not be trimmed or attached to the edges.
- The basic image should display the product. If a box, bag, or case is not an essential characteristic of the product, it should not be shown in the image.
- The basic image should not show a human model sitting, kneeling, leaning, or lying down. However, it is allowed to express various physical movement functions using assisted techniques (wheelchairs, prosthetics, etc.).
- The basic image of multipack clothing items and accessories should be photographed after laying them down on a flat floor (excluding the model).
- The basic image of clothing accessories should not show any side of the mannequin regardless of the appearance of the mannequin (definition, single color, skin color, framework, or hanger).
- The basic image of female or male clothing should show a human model wearing the product.
- The basic image of all children and babies’ clothing should be photographed after laying them down on a flat floor (excluding the model).
- The basic image of a pair of shoes should be a shoe directed 45° to the left.
A variant image is a very important factor since it is an image that heavily influences the actual purchase conversion rate. Therefore, it should emphasize the main functions and advantages of a product. The variant image can be produced by showing the product in use, related environment, and diverse angles. Moreover, it can be shown with graphics, props, etc. This way, customers can feel as if they are in an actual store. The below table summarizes this.
1) 3D Modeling
Amzon is planning to launch a 3D-uploading tool for sellers in 2023. Currently, Amazon started to support 3D content for some product categories (household goods, furniture, electronics, shoes, and glasses). The letter D in 3D is an abbreviation for Dimension, and 3D refers to a space with x, y, and z coordinates. (Reference : 1D is a straight line composed of x, and 2D is a plane composed of x and y)
Amazon allows 3D modeling because it can do almost everything and provide a more attractive visual rather than a text-based product description. For instance, it can display all the angles of the product with the 360° video, and its interactive view can show the internal compositions of a product.
Therefore, image production using 3D modeling is expected to become more and more important.
- Assets with GLB, glTF, FBX file types, and supported textures that correspond to those are permitted.
- 3D models should express a product the way it is shown on the detailed page in a virtual environment minutely and accurately.
- The size and shape of each side of the model should be proportional to the other sides.
- The model should be in its actual size. In short, the measurements of the model should be equal to that of the assembled product. If the measurements are incorrect, the posting of the asset will be delayed.
- 3D models should be optimized to be efficiently used in a web viewer and augmented reality environment. For example, the shape, texture, and material should be optimized. Amazon prefers a higher visual quality rather than a small-sized file. Therefore, if there is a high poly and low poly, Amazon prefers the higher one.
- The model should be smaller than a 150K triangle.
- PNG and JPG texture files are allowed.
- The resolution of the texture should be higher than 2048 x 2048 pixels and lower than 4096 x 4096 pixels.
Customers wish to view products from all angles before purchasing them just like they do at a real shop. This is possible when they use the 360º view since they can examine the exterior of a product and know all the details. For the past few years, the 360º picture gained huge popularity on social media. It was particularly important for fashion products, but it is starting to gain attention for non-fashion products nowadays. Amazon implemented this 360º view function on its website in 2018. This function is shown a lot mainly in the furniture category, but it is quickly expanding to other categories. The following image is an example of a product that provides a 360º view.
To use this function, sellers should prepare 24, 48, or 72 images with a white background that were taken at a fixed height with a 5° interval. They should compress them into a zip file and submit them to Amazon. If sellers prepare 24 images, the interval will be 15°. Of course, in this case, sellers can both use the traditional digital photographic methods and photorealistic rendering of 3D models.
However, this function was Amazon’s beta function, originally provided only to Amazon vendors and shortly provided to general sellers. Currently, sellers cannot use this function since Amazon temporarily blocked it. The grand open period is unclear, but Amazon is likely to launch it as an official service within this year.
3) Simultaneous Provision of Actual Figures and Comparison Picture
Since the purchase conversion rate increases and return decrease when sellers make images realistically and concretely showing the products, most Amazon sellers work hard to accurately give information by specifying the measurements, etc. of the products. Nevertheless, sellers would have often faced situations such as purchasers writing reviews saying the products are smaller or bigger than their thoughts after purchasing and returning them. These sometimes make sellers feel depressed or baffled. Therefore, in 2023, it is recommended to provide images where the product is placed or is used in real life rather than just giving size information so that customers can estimate the products’ real size and compare them.
Amazon newly released an image variation function that shows a diversity of skin tones in some of the beauty categories in the second half of 2022. It is adding new images to the existing set of images so that customers can view products in various skin tones. This new image is the fourth image of the product images (located at PT03) and is mainly used in lip color, eye color (including eye palettes and eyeliners), foundation, concealers, etc. Amazon is planning to increase this kind of diverse pages, so sellers who are selling cosmetics should be prepared beforehand.
Usually, videos related to product branding were uploaded in the past since only one video was available. However, it changed and sellers who completed brand registration can upload many videos. Afterward, to attract customers who respond to images and videos faster than texts, video content production became more and more popular. It is recommended that sellers create videos that easily and attractively explain functions rather than making conceptual (for branding) videos to surely appeal to customers.
6) Transformation to Mobile-Friendly Pictures
Today, Gen Z and Gen Alpha are familiar with mobiles and vertical images, so it is necessary to take or capture product photos vertically. Mobile optimization is still in its early stage. However, to meet the characteristics of customers following the change of generations, it is good to prepare mobile-friendly images beforehand little by little.
Until now, we looked at the important value of images, Amazon’s image policies/ composition methods, and the latest image trends.
Images stimulate the senses of viewers, allow emotional connection between customers and brands, and express the complexity of products concisely. This way, they increase the understanding of customers. In addition, high-quality images also provide clear and detailed information about products, offering credibility to customers and eliminating uncertainties about the products.
Moreover, as people easily share images on social media, they started to play an important role in increasing click and conversion rates in various ways including “likes” and going viral.
As images are essential, sellers should use images effectively to maximize their effects. However, what’s more important is to create images well by identifying the trends of images.
Let’s assume there is a picture taken by a seller via phone and a picture taken by a professional photographer. Which picture will you pick?
Now, sellers should view images as an investment. It is strongly recommended that sellers heavily invest in producing images, which increases click and conversion rates.
▶ This content is protected by the Copyright Act, and the copyright is held by the contributor.
▶ This content is prohibited from secondary processing and commercial use without prior consent.